Sunday, January 2, 2011

Inside a Pyramid


I have been inside a pyramid. It was the second largest of the Giza pyramids in Egypt, the tomb of Khafre. I am still amazed that I was able to have such an experience, but it was not quite the adventure I had envisioned it would be.



            When I found out I was going to get to go inside a pyramid I was ecstatic. I have learned about these structures all throughout school and I have seen several shows about them on the Discovery and National Geographic Channels, because, let’s face it, these days the shows on the History Channel are about aliens or the end of the world. Or aliens causing the end of the world.

            Our tour guide told us that if we wanted a picture of the inside chamber of the pyramid to go into a dark room and take a picture. Turns out he was right, I don’t remember anything about the inner chamber of the pyramid, apparently there was a sarcophagus. I vaguely remember that, however there was so much more going on that the actual inner chamber is what my memory has failed to retain.

Rough Drawing from my memory of the path inside the pyramid.

When I first entered the pyramid I basically felt like this: 



However, as I went on the situation began to go downhill (metaphorically...and literally). I soon realized that this trek into the inner sanctum of they pyramid was not going to be a very comfortable adventure. I crunched my body down and walked down the slope. It was okay at first, probably because of my excitement, but then it began to be an awkward and uncomfortable way to walk. 






Add in the heat. It was hot and disgusting and if I remember right, humid from people’s breath. Sweat began to generate from every pore. (I find this extremely disgusting.)

Then, just as it could not seem to get worse, the path angled upward and I kept hitting my head. Over and over again. 



The handle bar on the side of the wall, which was for balancing, smelled beyond revolting. Imagine taking a bunch of sweaty socks from different people tying them up in a bag then ripping open the bag a week later and smearing it all over the railing. That’s what it smelled like…only worse. I disinfected my hands with Purell several times after I exited they pyramid and it still took a day for the remnants of the stench to leave my hands.

Why does it smell like that? Well, because everyone is sweating from every pore. And then to make everything worse someone’s butt is in your face. and your butt is in someone’s face. And people are passing the opposite direction to get out of the pyramid and their sweaty arms rub up against yours. It’s gross.




When I finally exited the pyramid. The desert sun’s rays actually cooled my skin, because of the stifling heat that was inside. The desert sun should not feel cool.


This was how I looked when I came out of the pyramid:



However, usually I just tell people: “I’ve been inside a pyramid. It was so cool!” And act like this:


And that's the truth about being inside a pyramid.
 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome comic, Emily :) My favorite part of the pyramid experience was people passing out inside lol. Then you had a butt in your face, sweaty arms next to you, and a limp body in between.

    And I actually think the Valley of the Kings was a sweatier experience. It smelled like sour cream and onion chips inside the tombs and we didn't get to shower afterwards. Instead we rode a hot and sweaty train South that a bathroom that was nauseating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I definitely need to write about that bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good synopsis of both events. Amazing what you will do if someone will lead you....

    ReplyDelete